Flying FORKS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Flying FORKS

Fairfield Ohio Radio Kontrol Society AMA Chapter 501, IMAA Chapter 207

You are not connected. Please login or register

Enlighten me on Vinton Co.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:23 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

Enlighten me??

On the Vinton Co. fly-in, is this an event put on by the airport as a fund raiser for them and we just help them with exposure for the event? Or is this truly a 4 club event where all participating clubs share in the profit / loss of food and ticket sales????

I feel bad about them losing money on the tickets, but then it’s hard to have to make the call to get tickets 1-2 months prior to the event and know what will be going on at the time the event rolls around. Yes, I got “2 “tickets and did not use them so shame on me Embarassed I had every attention to be down both days in April when I had to make the call to attend and get tickets so I did not have to pay admission, and Sonia was going to use the second ticket and also come down with what we could not fit into the Ranger at the time in April. But in April I could not foresee work / JR having to study for all his finals that week/ events that would have kept Sonia at home or what the weather would be at the time scratch It should have been stated do not take any tickets if by any chance you could not attend and I would not have taken the tickets, as I am sure others would not have taken any.

To avoid the same problems next year all clubs should share equally in the work / cost / profits or loss of this event. Also a $5 landing fee for all pilots should be in place to help cover cost of the event. Also by taking registrations in advance will also act like the tickets so a count to base food purchase on can be made.

https://cethomas.forumotion.com

2Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:08 pm

joeg

joeg

My understanding is that the Vinton County Pilots' Association (Stan Purdee) wanted another fund raiser and invited us (Dick White) to participate by offering us a place to fly for the weekend.

Dick White presented it to the club last year just that way I believe. I have attended some of the planning meetings for both events at Vinton County and none of the clubs have ever brought up about sharing the costs/profits so I assumed it would be the same this year.

Maybe some time in the future there may be some sharing of profits but I would only go along with this if there was also sharing of the costs/risks involved. We have always maintained that money was not the issue but the promotion of aviation in general and, for me, the perpetuation of a great hobby that has to compete against a lot of other, less than wholesome, activities.

The problem with the tickets is that they plan the meals around the number expected to attend. Those folks getting tickets are supposed to be participants/workers and so would be expected to be present at least one fll day if not two. This year there were a lot of folks who just didn't show up. I don't think it was a matter of the airport losing money so much as they didn't make as much as they expected and they had some waste.

I do think more people asked for tickets this year than really planned on coming. (Charles wasn't one of them because we talked about what we were taking to fly)
It was a great event last year and I think people just wanted to get in free and when they saw the weather predictions changed their minds. This was all of the clubs involved. Even the full scalers.

Charles, you didn't do anything wrong so don't worry about it. Things happen.

Now a few observations.
<Caution, engaging rant mode-- read at your own risk >

Vinton County Airport furnished us with free tickets to whomever wanted them. No questions asked. Free parking. Free camping with electric hook ups. A great place to fly. An opportunity to get together with other clubs and learn from each other. An opportunity to rub elbows with the big boys (no not me and Butch). All free!!

I was there both days and while I didn't get there for breakfast I ate every other meal there. The food was great, the company pleasant, and the cost was minimal. For me, if the food had been terrible and twice the price I still would have eaten there just to support them in the same way we expect people to support our food stand at the static show and the Giant Fly In.

At the June meeting (last night) we talked about having it at a different time so it wouldn't conflict with graduation/finals and that was pretty much shot down because those with campers can't run generators after a certain hour and it would be too hot later in the year. I must say that while I understand the campers plight I would like to hear the opinions of the rest of the participants. The ones who don't have airconditioning during the day either. I do not think it is unreasonable to request a change of date to avoid conflicts.

Also, I think the other clubs involved should at least be contacted for their input as far as whether this could become more than a once a year event.

<rant mode off> <for now>

Thanks for listening,
Joe Smile
flying@home.for.fun

3Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Trailertrash

Ok let's see <rant mode on> check..
Some very valid points Joe, thank-you.
And no one should feel bad about not going. The weather was not in our favor, it is a fair drive with gas at $3.999 and you might get in an accident or have your camper blow apart!.

But all in all, it's about participation and support of each other.

I will say that most all of the "campers with generators" with tickets did show up. Sure we watched the weather and got ready for a few storms, but we where there and we flew and we participated not one day but two and some us three days. We shut the generators off at 10:00 (or earlier) and ran fans. It was great in May.
Last weekend though, we ran them till around mid-nite and fired 'em back up around seven for breakfast and left them run most of the day and on Sunday we offered other members and guest a place to get in out of the heat if they needed.

"Campers with generators" the first in and the last to leave.

But yes I can respect others wishes for a later date also. Why not make it earlier??????
<rant mode...off>

4Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:21 pm

dennis

It dose not matter on when we have it. Someone will have a problem with it. Starting May 15 the first high school have there graduation and the last party we know of is next week. So there is a month of it.
This is the same problem we had when the giant fly when it was on the second week of june. The giant fly in is now the four week in june and it's seem to be working of us.
We as a club did are fair share of support of this event. We as a club did pay for the sanction and the extra insurance. And pay to go down there (food ,fuel, time, flyers, etc )
So I feel that we as a club did GOOD.

5Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Well, I feel that ALL the clubs should be sharing the costs/profits Neutral If we are going to make this a large event that cost FORKS $$$ to promote and man hours of club members to help run. Now if it's just the RC clubs going to have a place to fly and the big boys are footing all the cost / work, then they should have all the profits and cost / risks of the event:roll:

As for a date, Why not something like September??? It's cooling off and the weather is good, kids are back in school and no finals or mid-terms cheers As for moving it up, one week would be a holiday weekend, 2 weeks early would make it a points club event, not a bad ideal bounce but try to pass that Wink - also several local schools will be having graduations like we will on the 17th cheers and 3 weeks would be during mothers day queen And 4 weeks early Suspect well thought you had bad weather / turnout this year Rolling Eyes try something the first week of May.

Just me 2 cents flower

As for 2 events a year, well I am open to it Rolling Eyes but at gas now $4.01 and looking like $4.25 for the 4th of July and the amount of work need to put on a large event scratch I could see getting burned out quick bounce But put all the time and money into a once a year event and make a event that people will want to spend the $$$ to go to Cool And see what we get. With our location we should start to pull several of the clubs from WV and KY and should be able to pull off a large event like several in Ohio.

EDIT::: Forget the $4.25 gas by July 4th, just passed $4.15 reg gas on the way in to work today affraid

6Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:33 pm

joeg

joeg

Mike,

I understand what you are saying about the campers. I agree. They are appreciated. I spent some time on Saturday at Vinton in Dave's getting cooled off and relaxing a little and i really did like it.

I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well. We should talk. I don't have a camper and have no intentions of getting one but would like to think that my input counts just the same.
I feel like some folks feel the discussion at the meeting was cut short. I would like to hear a little more discussion on it before the date is set in stone. Informal discussion such as we have here is fine.

I agree that it's about participation and supporting each other. If it will help participation to move the date then it would be worthwhile to me. Frankly, I don't know if moving the date later will help.

Charles,

As far as making money I really don't care. I didn't get into the hobby or join the club to make money. It's been quite the opposite actually. Shocked

If that is a concern for you then bring it up at a meeting. We should talk about it. Heck, we can talk about it here if you want.

As far as one or two events, it doesn't matter to me but would like to hear more from those who participate. If we have two I will go to both. If not that's fine.

Joe

7Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Joe,

Do not get me wrong, it’s not about the $$$ Well maybe it is Rolling Eyes

I have no problem going to Vinton Co and giving my support cheers For me to attend both days driving the 104 mile round trip each day with 2 vehicles will have me over $100+ in just gas to attend + food for JR:suspect: That’s a lot of support to give I love you

Now corect me if I am wrong, but we want to hold the event again and make it much larger? We will spend club funds to pay for insurance, sanction and most likely other small items? We will be expected to attend and work as the size of the show grows and more workers are needed?

As a club we used to have 3 money making events. Now we have 2 cash events and one is not the cash cow we used to have at the old field pig

I just think spending club funds and expecting club members to foot the cost to attend / work an event the distance away that Vinton Co is, just to put $$$ into another clubs bank account is not doing our club / members right when we could be hosting an event to put $$$ in our club account. The damage to the building this past winter just showed why we need to build up our account bounce

Now if all cost for the event is paid out of the income so it's no cost to the RC clubs, and the club members that do attend want to help out, but we do not expect members to attend / work, then that is OK.

As to more events, I will let the others make that call. With the cost of gas now, I have to pass on driving to all the fly-in's I would like to attend or stay at the home field and use the gas $$$ to get the engine for the Laser and trailer to haul the Laser:afro:

8Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:33 pm

joeg

joeg

SORRY Joe,

I hit the edit button when I thought I hit quote Embarassed

Read my post below to see Joe's message scratch

9Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:59 pm

Trailertrash

HHMMMmmmm. Have to digest this a while. Suspect

10Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:51 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

joeg wrote:Agreed. Vinton County Airport is not what might be called convenient to any particular club or metropolitan area. Each person must choose his or her commitment to attending such an event. I drove down both days this year at a cost of about $50 in gas. The thing is, this is a reality of our world. Whether you drive to a fly in or to the grocery store gasoline is going to be a consideration.

True, but I am sure the gas cost is also a large part of the low turn out. When they were passing out tickets in March and April I as I am sure a lot of other members had no ideal what the cost to attend would be in May / June At to be honest, If things would have worked out for us to attend we would only have made one day of it due to cost. But this all started out after it was pointed out in the meeting that people took tickets and did not attend making them out to be bad guys

joeg wrote:
Again I agree. I think we may need to get reimbursed for our expenses at least. I do think the getting larger means not working each individual harder but adding more participating clubs. Sharing the work load rather than just making it larger for those already involved makes sense to me.

That would be great, but to be honest just how many clubs can we add to help out that will want to drive the distance they will have to with no payback for them.

joeg wrote:
I'm positive that you are not the only one who feels this way and we should explore this a little more. I am pretty sure though that no one is going to get reimbursed for their fuel expense for attending.

I due not expect to be reimbursed for my fuel expense But if the club has an event that I am expected to attend and work. Then I would like to see the club get some benfit from it

joeg wrote:
Actually, I believe the intent of the donation of $50 to each club was to cover the expense of sanctions and insurance. Each R/C club was to file for supplimental insurance through AMA.
I seconded Mike's motion to donate the money back and the motion was kind of railroaded through as most have been for a number of years. Maybe we should have talked a little about it.

It was given back to cover the cost of loss due ticket holders not attending. And I have no problem with it. When 4 clubs put on a event they all should cover any loss but also share in the income.

I should have not started this topic. But the way it was handled in the meeting is the first time I can say that I am very unhappy with the club. Back in the March meeting it was "you have to get your tickets NOW or you will be charged to get in to a club event" So I got my 2 tickets so I could attend a FORKS club event. Then when things came around I could attend and I am sure a lot more club members were in the same boat as me. Then to be made out to be a bad guy in the meeting due to not attending just has not set well with me

Come next year, if it's the same way and you have to make the call 1-3 months ahead of the event to get tickets, I will pass up the event and just go to our field for the day

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:49 am; edited 2 times in total

11Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Trailertrash

Joe, no offense here. I'm only here for the fun anyway.

12Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:47 am

joeg

joeg

Mike,

None taken. What were you going to say that might offend me. I think this board is a great place to talk about stuff like this. I'm here for the fun too. If someone isn't having fun then we might want to stop and take a look as to why. That's all I'm saying. There is no right or wrong here. Just exploring ideas.

Charles, there is every reason to bring up this subject if it bothers you. We seldom have time at a meeting to talk in depth about anything. I think you have brought up some great questions and I would like to see them addressed.

Someone else please jump in and say something. We are all adults here and can talk to each other and even disagree without taking offense I would think.

It's difficult to attribute motive to a motion in a club meeting but I thought rather than Mike making the motion to help Vinton County cut their loses for anything we did we just did it to help them with their fund raiser. I am positive after talking with Dick and stan that there was no intent to make anyonre the bad guy or make anyone feel bad. It was just an explanation so folks know what's going on. This isn't something to take personally.

Like mike said, "I'm only here for the fun anyway."

Joe Smile

13Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:14 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

No problem here

With the cost of gas going up everyday, the trip to the Grocery going up just as much and the pay check getting smaller Suspect buy the time I get the Q-42 and the 3.2 fixed. I will not be able to take the $20 it will take to fill up the tank on the Aeromaster by next year No

14Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:20 pm

radiofly

Well heres my 2 cents worth.At the club meeting I felt like a schoolboy called to the princibles office. It cost me $100.00 to drive my camper to Vinton co. airport. And while I woulden't object to a Camping fee of $20.00 a day...I thought we were invited to provide the entertainementand and work at the show. I never thought they were counting on me for 12 meals . Just like I never once thought of being reembersed for damaged to my awning on my camper. The weather was very discouraging and the publiic didn't show

http://hotmail.com

15Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Admin

Admin
Admin

Me Too Razz

Public scratch It's Vinton Co. How many people do you think live in the county lol!

16Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:38 pm

Trailertrash

joeg wrote:Mike,

I understand what you are saying about the campers. I agree. They are appreciated. I spent some time on Saturday at Vinton in Dave's getting cooled off and relaxing a little and i really did like it.

I'm not sure I'm expressing myself very well. We should talk. I don't have a camper and have no intentions of getting one but would like to think that my input counts just the same.
I feel like some folks feel the discussion at the meeting was cut short. I would like to hear a little more discussion on it before the date is set in stone. Informal discussion such as we have here is fine.

I agree that it's about participation and supporting each other. If it will help participation to move the date then it would be worthwhile to me. Frankly, I don't know if moving the date later will help.

Joe
Joe, this what I meant. No offense here.

17Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Trailertrash

I'm done with this thread. Way too much negitive vibes. Vinton Co. club was disappointed with the turn out.....not our fault.....ain't nobody's fault.... the weather forecast flat sucked......sh&* happens......period. Let's move on.

18Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:28 pm

radiofly

I don't think it hurts anything to air our appionions... on a positive note i would like to see Vinto Co. become a major RC event drawing in clubs from surrounding states...mybe a Giant fly or War Bird event. This could become large enough that Vinto Co and forks could split the responsiblities and cost.....and maybe make some money for each organition. What do you think?

http://hotmail.com

19Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:16 am

Trailertrash

That's more like it. Positiveity! cheers

20Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Empty Re: Enlighten me on Vinton Co. Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:56 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

Vinton will have a cap on size due to location Crying or Very sad Yes, it can be larger then it is, but will never pull the amount of people we need to make it a "large" event from anyone over a day's drive. I have been to several large events, ( Joe Nall, Dst III mini-fest's, Dayton, Heli events) and when you have drive the distance from the event to get a room for the night or you have to shut down your power source at 9pm for your camper Sad It will hurt you big time.

The Joe Nall is the only one I have seen be able to pull off the driving distance, but it was already a 500+ event when they moved to the new location, and they did not have to shut off power to the campers at 9pm.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]